Wednesday, January 6, 2010

scope the nose

"EEEE.......HMMMMMMM......OWWWWWW!!!"





PAINFUL PAINFUL PAINFUL is the best word to describe my doctor's appointment today. I saw a speech pathologist that conducted a test where they stuck a scope down my nose to look down my throat while I swallowed. 4 tries!!! & on the 5th with a different doctor she got in all the way in.






"It's okay, you can cry. She's tough, I didn't want to torture her more."


It was complete torture & even the good doctor couldn't put someone through that much pain.




"It's okay, think happy thoughts"....where did my thoughts lead me? The only place that came to mind was playing catch with baseball boy & late-night walks with him. On the other tries it was to hard to think of something else. It hurt too much. Anything and everything else I thought of wasn't going to hold it's own with the pain. A memory that was already painful.





Once they got the camera in, I choked on it.



My nose is small.





I didn't think it could get worse, but I found out I'd have to do it again, but for longer & further down into my throat. To help, they sprayed some numbing product twice into my throat, which made me gag & choke. Then the nurse asked how old I was & I said 22, then she said you're older than me. I'm 20.


Hmm...great.


Getting the camera scope down my nose again proved to only be accomplished under rare circumstances. They tried & tried, both nostrils until they made me bleed. It hurt TONS! I knew they had to do it, so I endured & tried to keep myself from crying. So finally they gave up on the nose, then they shoved it down through my mouth, that made me cough & choke. 12 swallows of water holding my breath for 30 seconds after each swallow. I wanted to punch the assistant when she would tell me the wrong number of swallows left. After 45 minutes of torture I was done. I bursted into tears as I delayed the pain they did to me. IT was painful & hard emotionally to let them keep going.


Aftermath, they can't fix me. They don't know how it happened, but my upper & lower throat muscles aren't working correctly. It's unpredictable, sometimes my swallows are fine. BUT come back if it gets worse...thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment